The Alberta Government has funded a non-profit organization that will help expand support programs and resources to a large number of Albertans.
The $3 million was granted to Caregivers Alberta to expand support for caregivers during the COVID-19 pandemic as well as into the future. The announcement was made on April 14.
“Without family and friend caregivers, our health-care system would simply collapse – especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. This funding will help support the almost one million caregivers across the province with caregiver-focused programs and services,” said Sandra Sereda, executive director, Caregivers Alberta.
Caregivers Alberta is the one and only community organization in the province dedicated to the many needs of Alberta caregivers. This funding will help Caregivers Alberta expand supports and increase the reach of these supports and includes the following:
- Developing a public awareness campaign to highlight the importance of caregivers and their work.
- Compiling an inventory of caregiver supports across the province.
- Expanding the hours of the Caregiver Advisor phone line.
- Establishing a referral system to link caregivers and Caregivers Alberta through health-care providers.
- Updating and expanding support programs.
- Providing employers with resources to support caregivers in the workplace.
- Developing a coaching program for caregivers.
“Caregivers are essential to the well-being and quality of life of over one million Albertans. This is particularly true as we deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. Funding to increase supports for caregivers is part of our government’s commitment to ensure that all Albertans are taken care of – during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond,” said Tyler Shandro, Minister of Health.
Currently, psychosocial, along with other peer and community supports are available via a toll-free caregiver advisor line at 1-877-453-5088 and online at caregiversalberta.ca for all caregivers, including those caring for someone with COVID-19 or in self isolation.
Anyone with questions about COVID-10 or how to care for someone with COVID-19 should call Alberta Health Services’ Health Link at 811.
For the most up-to-date information and advice on how to reduce your risk visit Help prevent the spread.